Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday Hangover

Ugh. Even after trying to sleep off that loss, the bile still remains, sloshing around. Blech.

The Lions have been castigated in the Freep, Detroit News, MLive, and CBS so far, and Kevin Seifert's excellent NFC North blog managed to criticize the Lions amidst three pages worth of Vikings stories. What that means is both positive and negative: people are noticing the Lions.

I bet every Lions fan feels conflicted about the game yesterday. On one hand, they hung tough against one of the best teams in the NFL. On the other hand, they choked a win away. It's almost an internal battle of feeling appreciative and ungrateful, where we know we should be absolutely ecstatic about the Lions' performance but still we are angry about a loss. Has pure, unadulturated hope made us bitter?

It's funny when you think about it: two seasons removed from an 0-16 season, in the midst of a 100% roster upheaval and cultural overhaul, Lions fans are suddenly indignant with a supreme effort and marked improvement. I knew they probably wouldn't win this game, just as everyone else did the same. Sure, they blew a huge lead in a stupid way, but the positive of it all is that they really could have won that game. They are light years away from what they were, and that is exceedingly encouraging. They need probably another offseason on roster upgrades (linebacker and offensive line probably needs the most, the secondary turned out to be better than they thought. Unless Amukamara or Peterson is available. Oy. Probably a different post) and Schwartz needs to keep learning about coaching for success in the NFL (it seems like he's been learning how to not lose bad, and just how to coach period). I dunno. I think this should be seen as somewhat of a positive, and that if there's an NFL next season then the Lions could, actually and realistically, challenge for the NFC North. And that, my friend, is awesome.

NOW, schedule evaluation!
10Sun, Nov 14Buffalo Bills@ Buffalo (0-8)1:00 pm EST


11Sun, Nov 21Dallas Cowboys@ Dallas (1-7)1:00 pm EST


12Thu, Nov 25New England Patriotsvs New England (6-2)12:30 pm EST


13Sun, Dec 5Chicago Bearsvs Chicago (5-3)1:00 pm EST


14Sun, Dec 12Green Bay Packersvs Green Bay (6-3)1:00 pm EST


15Sun, Dec 19Tampa Bay Buccaneers@ Tampa Bay (5-3)1:00 pm EST


16Sun, Dec 26Miami Dolphins@ Miami (4-4)1:00 pm EST


17Sun, Jan 2Minnesota Vikingsvs Minnesota (3-5)1:00 pm EST
Okay, let's assume that this loss doesn't break the Lions, but instead pisses them off. I'm going to go ahead and assume also that Matt Stafford and his stupid injury-prone self will be missing the next few games, if not the rest of the season. So, where does that leave us?

Wk 10 @ Bills - I see this as a win, because they must feel that if they can't beat the Bills, then what good are they? They needs this as a moral victory, and although the Bills have been playing freakishly hard I think the Lions are going to punch them in the face. (3-6)

Wk 11 @ Cowboys - The Cowboys are playing some of the worst football in the league. They don't run the ball, Jon Kitna is their QB, and Wade Phillips is one of the worst coaches in the NFL. All the better if Jerry Jones freaks out and fires him. I think this could be a win, and two road wins in a row should get this team sufficiently pumped. (4-6)

Wk 12 Patriots - I make this pick angrily. VERY angrily. I think NE wins this game. HOWEVAH, coming off of two road wins and going into probably the biggest moral game of the season for them (Lions games ARE Thanksgiving games), I can envision an upset. Still, I'm going on record picking the bloody Patriots. (4-7)

Wk 13 Bears - The Lions have been looking forward to this since week one, man. I think this is a decisive win, and it really helps keep Detroit's head above water morally. (5-7)

Wk 14 Packers - Another revenge game. The Lions know they can win this, and it's at home, and they're pissed. Lions win, and they try to decapitate Aaron Rodgers. (6-7)

Wk 15 @ Buccaneers - I have to change my pick from earlier in the seaon. The Bucs are playing terrific football right now, and Josh Freeman has made a believer out of me. I have a buddy who is a Bucs fan, and he talks about the mega home field advantages of TB (Bucs' home jerseys are white, opponents go dark and play under a sweltering sun, etc.). I could envision an upset, but I don't want to actually pick it. (6-8)

Wk 16 @ Dolphins - I still think the Lions win this game. It is a pick without rhyme or reason. Especially if Matt Stafford decides to play this week. (7-8)

Wk 17 Vikings - Revenge game, and a nice way to close out the season. I also think Ndamukong Suh cripples Brett Favre. (8-8)

Wow, that's better than I initially thought, eh? Of course, I bet my prediction will be off by a win or two. However, 6-8 wins? For the Lions? After the last couple seasons? Cause for joy, mon frere.

BOO HOO HOO, I HURT MESELF AGAIN

No comments:

Post a Comment